Monday, November 21, 2011

Buttermilk Coconut Pie

Buttermilk Coconut Pie

Everything tastes better baked with buttermilk. I love how rich and creamy it makes desserts and cornbread. It helps it maintain it's moisture even under a hot oven. Buttermilk is really the way to go if the ingredients suggest adding regular old milk.

(Tip: If you don't use all of your buttermilk, pour it into ice cube trays and freeze it. Once they're frozen, you can pop them out and put them in a freezer bag and pull out buttermilk cubes next time you need it. Less waste and saves money!)



 
Ingredients for 2 pies:
6 beaten eggs
2.5 cups white sugar
2Tbsp flour
1 stick melted butter
1cup buttermilk
1tsp vanilla
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped pecans (This recipe really needs nuts in it. I'm not a fan of nuts in my dessert, but this is delicious!)




Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix all ingredients together. Tip: I mixed the sugar and flour together first then added everything else to the bowl. Another one of those one-bowl-stops!



If you have a frozen crust, let it thaw out almost completely before filling the pies. Bake 40-45 minutes. It will be custard-like so if the middle has set while still in the oven, you're good to go. It'll have a nice golden color and shouldn't be jiggly at all.



The pie is tasty when it's warm so let it cool at least 20 minutes before slicing. I like this pie cold, right out of the fridge on the second day.
I made this pie already and have it in my freezer for Thanksgiving. I will pull it out of the freezer the night before and place it in my fridge. The day I plan on eating it, I'll set it out on the counter a few hours beforehand, just to make sure it's thawed out completely.
This is a good idea to make ahead since it can be frozen after baking. If you make two, eat one now and freeze the other for later. Never know when someone is going to have an impromptu dinner/dessert date!

Eat and Enjoy!

*Thank you, Miss Hella, for the recipe!*

No comments:

Post a Comment